Courtney Votes to Pass Historic Jobs and Infrastructure Investment Bill, the Moving Forward Act
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Joe Courtney (CT-02) voted to pass Moving Forward Act (H.R. 2). The Moving Forward Act is a historic proposal that would invest more than $1.5 trillion in programs to rebuild communities in eastern Connecticut and throughout the country with infrastructure that is modern, safe, and built to last. The Moving Forward Act would make bold investments to safely reopen and rebuild America’s schools and childcare facilities, to modernize U.S. airports and transportation systems, preserve affordable housing, and more. In the process, H.R. 2 would create millions of jobs to provide Americans with good-paying, valuable employment amidst the COVID-19 economic crisis.
The Moving Forward Act includes several top priorities of Rep. Courtney’s, including major investments to modernize U.S. Post Office infrastructure and operations, including a modernized fleet of vehicles; to create and preserve millions of affordable homes; to expand high-speed broadband Internet access to rural communities; and much more. The bill also includes several amendments and provisions authored by Rep. Courtney that will provide aid to homeowners and schools in eastern Connecticut impacted by the crumbling foundations crisis. Click here for more information on the bill’s crumbling foundations provisions advanced by Rep. Courtney.
“The failure to reinvest in our nation’s aging infrastructure has cost eastern Connecticut towns, students, and our neighbors,” said Congressman Courtney. “Now, during the COVID-19 economic crisis, it’s more important than ever to reinvest in ourselves and our communities, and to help create more good-paying American jobs. The Moving Forward Act would invest over $1.5 trillion back into our communities to equip our nation—all of it, including rural communities—with 21st century infrastructure and internet access. The Moving Forward Act isn’t another emergency payment, it’s the long overdue investment in eastern Connecticut and our nation that we need in order to fix our crumbling infrastructure for the long-term.”
Among its many provisions, the Moving Forward Act:
- Includes the INVEST in America Act, a nearly $500 billion investment to rebuild and reimagine the nation’s transportation infrastructure by fixing our crumbling roads and bridges, improving safety, reducing gridlock, and putting the U.S. on a path toward zero emissions from the transportation sector by cutting carbon pollution, investing in public transit and the national rail network, building out fueling infrastructure for low- and zero-emission vehicles, and deploying technology and innovative materials. The INVEST in America Act is fueled by American workers and ingenuity thanks to strong Buy America provisions and labor protections.
- Invests in schools with the Reopen and Rebuild America’s Schools Act, which funds $130 billion in school infrastructure targeted at high-poverty schools with facilities that endanger the health and safety of students and educators. This investment will help students get back to school and create more than 2 million jobs to help workers get back to work.
- Addresses structural challenges and upgrades child care facilities by leveraging a 5-year, $10 billion federal investment to generate additional state and private investments in making sure that child care settings are safe, appropriate, and able to comply with current and future public health directives.
- Invests over $100 billion into our nation's affordable housing infrastructure to create or preserve 1.8 million affordable homes. These investments will help reduce housing inequality, create jobs and stimulate the broader economy, increase community and household resiliency in the face of natural disasters, improve hazardous living conditions, and increase the environmental sustainability of our housing stock.
- Protects access to safe drinking water by investing over $25 billion in the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund and other programs to ensure all communities have clean drinking water and to help remove dangerous contaminants like PFAS from local water systems.
- Modernizes our energy infrastructure for a clean energy future by investing more than $70 billion to transform our electric grid to accommodate more renewable energy, expand renewable energy, strengthen existing infrastructure, help develop an electric vehicle charging network, and support energy efficiency, weatherization, and Smart Communities infrastructure.
- Delivers affordable high-speed broadband Internet access to all parts of the country by investing $100 billion to promote competition for broadband internet infrastructure in unserved and underserved communities, prioritizing those with persistent poverty. Gets children connected to remote learning, closes broadband adoption and digital skills gaps and enhances payment support for low-income households and the recently unemployed.
- Modernizes the nation’s health care infrastructure by investing $30 billion to upgrade hospitals to increase capacity and strengthen care, help community health centers respond to COVID-19 and future public health emergencies, improve clinical laboratory infrastructure, support the Indian Health Service‘s infrastructure, and increase capacity for community-based care.
- Modernizes and strengthens the United States Postal Service by investing $25 billion to modernize postal infrastructure and operations, including a zero emissions postal vehicle fleet, processing equipment and other goods.
- Promotes new renewable energy infrastructure by incentivizing the development of wind and solar on public lands and building a workforce for offshore wind.
- Promotes investments in our communities by spurring private investment through the tax code, through a revitalized Build America Bonds program, expansions of Private Activity Bonds, and significant enhancements to the New Markets Tax Credit and the Rehabilitation Tax Credit.
A fact sheet on the Moving Forward Act is available here.