Courtney, Education Committee Introduce Higher Education Bill That Would Provide Every Student with The Opportunity for A Debt-Free College Degree
(Washington, DC) – Yesterday, Congressman Joe Courtney, a senior member of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, joined all 17 Democratic members of the committee in unveiling the Aim Higher Act, a comprehensive reauthorization of the Higher Education Act that would provide every student with the opportunity to earn a debt-free degree that leads to a rewarding career.
“In a year that has been marked by GOP efforts to roll back federal programs designed to make college more affordable, I am pleased to join my colleagues in introducing our bill that would provide every student with the opportunity to earn a debt-free degree,” said Courtney. “Moreover, after Republicans passed their so-called PROSPER Act out of committee in December repealing the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, our bill introduced this week contains my provision to expand that program to even more Americans working in high-need fields. The PSLF program allows public service workers such as teachers, police officers, rural doctors, and others to receive student loan forgiveness after 10 years of qualifying work and on-time loan repayments. I also appreciate that this bill includes my Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act that will lower interest rates on student loan debt for millions of Americans.”
Rep. Bobby Scott, ranking member of the Education and the Workforce Committee, said, “The Aim Higher Act is a serious and comprehensive proposal to give every student the opportunity to earn a debt-free degree or credential. It provides immediate and long-term relief to students and parents struggling with the cost of college, it puts a greater focus on helping students graduate on time with a quality degree that leads to a rewarding career, and it cracks down on predatory for-profit colleges that peddle expensive, low-quality degrees at the expense of students and taxpayers.”
The Aim Higher Act:
- Makes college more affordable by investing in federal student aid, and helps states make public college tuition more affordable in the future by incentivizing states to reinvest in higher education
- Cracks down on predatory for-profit institutions that target students and veterans with expensive, low-quality programs
- Protects and expands the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which is eliminated in the GOP PROSPER Act, and makes student loans simpler and easier to repay
- Provides students the tools they need to graduate on time with a quality degree
- Invests in teachers and strengthens training for teachers and school leaders to improve the quality of our schools
- Establishes a program to allow student loan borrowers to refinance their high-interest federal legacy loans and private loans to today’s low rates.