Courtney: Eastern CT Veterans to Receive $1,400 Payments from American Rescue Plan Beginning Today
WASHINGTON, DC—Today, Rep. Joe Courtney (CT-02) highlighted the IRS’s announcement that many Connecticut residents who receive Veterans’ Benefits could expect Economic Impact Payments (EIPs) of up to $1,400 to hit their bank accounts beginning today. Many people in eastern Connecticut have already received EIPs as part of the American Rescue Plan, which Rep. Courtney helped pass. The IRS is continuing to issue the newly authorized EIPs, and announced last week that a new round of payments would soon be issued to Americans who don’t typically file tax returns—like Social Security and VA beneficiaries.
- For veterans, this latest round of payments applies specifically to veterans and their beneficiaries who receive Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefit payments and who don’t normally file a tax return.
- Most payments will be automatically deposited into banks accounts or loaded onto the Direct Express cards where veterans receive their benefits. Those waiting on paper checks or debit cards through the mail should expect to receive their payments over the next several days.
- In most cases, these payments are automatic, and no action is necessary to receive them. Rep. Courtney encourages all eastern CT residents to use the “Get My Payment” tool from IRS.gov to check the status of their payments and make sure they receive the money they are owed.
“Eastern Connecticut is home to more veterans than anywhere else in the state, and the pandemic has impacted them in just as many ways as it has other families and workers,” said Congressman Courtney. “That’s why the American Rescue Plan provided new resources not only to help our veterans and their families get vaccinated, but also to help them survive and recover financially. The American Rescue Plan authorized new funding to provide our veterans with debt forgiveness at the VA, new resources to help them with career skills training and job placement, and now our vets can expect to receive a new round of Economic Impact Payments starting now, this week. Help is here for our region’s veterans, and my office is ready to assist them and their families with accessing it. For all veterans in eastern Connecticut with questions on the new round of EIPs from the IRS, give my office a call—our phone lines are open, our lights are on, and we’re here to help.”
- How to Check the Status of your Payment: Rep. Courtney encourages eastern Connecticut residents to go online and check the status of their payment using the “Get My Payment” tool at: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.
- Who is Eligible for Payments: The American Rescue Plan included EIPs of up to $1,400 per person. Combined with the $600 down payments enacted in December, these additional checks will finish the job on President Biden’s goal to put $2,000 in Americans’ pockets.
Individuals earning up to $75,000 annually, heads of household earning up to $112,500 annually, and couples eanring up to $150,000 annually will recieve the full $1,400 per person, for themselves and their dependents. After thta, the checks begin to phase out, with payments stopping at individuals earning $80,000 in annual income, heads of household earning $120,000 in annual income, and married couples earning $160,000 in annual income.